A Happy New Year to all of you! We hope you all had a nice holiday season, ate yummy meals and enjoyed some quality time with your family and friends. While doing exactly the same as everybody, the Amarok developers did also sneak out in the middle of the night to sit at their computers and add a bugfix here, a usability improvement there, and polish all around to make sure you will truly enjoy our new release: Amarok 2.2.2!
As already announced for the beta release, we focused on improvements and bugfixes, but let us remind you of the new features in this release first: The Custom Labels are back and allow you to add your personal touch to your music. Another new addition that will add quite some color to your music experience: the moodbar makes his entry in the 2.2 series so you can change the progress bar to fit with your current mood, be this normal, angry, frozen or just happy :) To help you setting this up we prepared a wiki page
with the necessary instructions.
Editing the lyrics is made much easier now since you can just click on the lyrics applet, press F2 and you can correct the misspelled words and occasional mis-hearings :) A little tweak in the settings page of the applet allows you to also change the font settings. You always wanted to see the Beats Per Minute of a track? You can now edit, filter and sort your music by that criteria.
The podcasts section has seen many new features and improvements, since you can now show the HTML information for podcasts supporting it, import podcast subscriptions from OPML and gain some considerable memory usage by limiting the simultaneous download to a maximum of four as well as modify the update interval in the configuration file. The grouping of podcasts has improved and you now also have automatically downloaded logos for each subscription. Already existing files are not downloaded again and you can remove downloaded episodes when removing a subscription..
We also made some small changes to streamline some functionality: The Playlist Layout Editor is now part of the Tools menu in the menu bar, while the playlist actions are at the bottom of the playlist panel. This has the big advantage to see immediately if you did activate a random, repeat and/or favor mode by a visual indicator.
There are many more features to discover, many changes and an impressive list of bugfixes in this release. Below are the changes since the release of 2.2.2 Beta 1. Let us just mention one other important change: Amarok now depends on KDE 4.3.x and Qt 4.5. Expect a few very nice new things in the month to come, while we will be making use of the many new features provided by those KDE and Qt versions.
Join us and rediscover music!
Changes since 2.2.2 Beta 1
- The inline playlist editor now also allows resizing of auto sized items that are invisible because fixed sized items already use up 100% width.
- Enhanced the playlist sorting breadcrumb items to separately highlight the order inversion arrow on hover. (BR 209011)
- The automatic character set detection for tags has been disabled; it caused too many problems with legitimate UTF-8 tags. It can be re-enabled from Settings->Collection. (Many BRs)
- Dynamic mode is now automatically disabled when replacing the playlist. (BR 214759)
- The collection search filter now also searches for file names as a fallback. Patch by Andreas Hartmetz .
- Fixed crash with dangling pointer on trying to play a media device track whose collection no longer exists. (BR 210477)
- Fixed loading MusicBrainz-tagged tracks in dynamic playlists. (BR 219902)
- Fixed MusicBrainz-tagged tracks not being restored in the playlist upon restart.
- Fixed incorrect display of rich text in applet header text. (BR 220714)
- Fixed GUI freezing after mounting and during parse of media devices. (BR 180520)
- Fixed occasional crash when custom biases go awry. (BR 219888)
- Fixed missing icons in the drag overlay menu.
- More reliable MimeType detection for music formats. Patch by Rafa? Rzepecki <email@example.com>. (BR 219792)
- Fixed regression causing many scripted services, including the, shipped by default, LibriVox service to not work at all.
- Fixed corner case that could prevent scans from being completed, manifesting as a regression in 2.2.1. Huge thanks to Christian Kreibichfor his patience and time in helping to debug this.
- Fixed removing multiple tracks from a saved playlist only removing the first track. (BR 218527)
- Fixed cancel button not responding when loading thumbnails in the cover manager. (BR 204882)
- Fixed crash when using the inline playlist editor to resize items containing auto sized elements not shown becuase of all space already being used. (BR 218167)
- Fixed relative links in wikipedia work. (BR 218512)
- Fixed multilevel playlist sorting by time since last played so it sorts numerically rather than alphabetically. (BR 214761)
- Fixed crash with "Edit Track Details" dialog. (BR 217625)
- Fixed a number of cases where markers such as "current track", "stop after this track" and others would get shown in both group header and the first track in the group. (BR 197842)
- Fixed regression causing non default moodbar styles to not work.
- Jamendo.com service: Fixed track lengths not getting shown for most tracks. For existing installs, this requires a redownload of the Jamendo database. (BR 200531)
- Jamendo.com service: Fixed searches not working because of SQL errors.
- Jamendo.com service: Removed broken "Unknown" genre which would freeze Amarok if expanded. For existing installs, this requires a redownload of the Jamendo database. (BR 213165)
- Playback of Audio CD track now correctly stops if track is the last in the playlist. (BR 216175)
- Fixed crash if user clicks rating widget on the current track applet while no track is playing (which is possible since there is a slight delay before the applet switches "mode"). (BR 215471)
- Made "Last.fm Love" (and potentially other global actions available for all tracks) correctly show up in the Current Track applet.