Amarok is a powerful music player for Linux, Unix and Windows with an intuitive interface. It makes playing the music you love and discovering new music easier than ever before - and it looks good doing it!
Submitted by The Amarok Team on May 15, 2013 - 13:34
The Amarok Team has discovered a very unpleasant bug in QtWebkit ↔ GStreamer interaction that made continuous playing almost impossible, due to frequent crashing. We decided to work around it in our code and take it as an opportunity to release a bugfix version. It contains a couple of other fixes we deemed important.
This version only contains some very essential fixes and changes compared to 2.7.0:
A modification in handling MusicBrainz ID tags was needed to avoid problems with falsely duplicate tracks.
We fixed a weird behaviour when the "Use Music Location?" question is answered "Yes" on the first run.
We now have worked around the QtWebkit ↔ GStreamer bug that caused frequent crashes on track start; this happened if the Wikipedia applet tried to load a page containing an audio tag.
The database is now also created if the home directory contains non-ASCII characters.
The Nepomuk Collection now also shows track numbers.
Note that this is just a very small subset of bug fixes that already went to upcoming Amarok 2.8, which is being baked behind the scenes and which will improve many existing features. We kept 2.7.1 as minimal as possible (with just 8 commits on top of 2.7.0) so that it is a safe and pleasant update for everyone. If you want to get a taste of what Amarok 2.8 will be, you are encouraged to use our development version.
As usual we welcome as many testers as possible so this version will make its entry as fast as possible in the distributions updates. See the full article for download options and a full change log.
Submitted by The Amarok Team on April 26, 2013 - 18:37
It took some time, but it is finally here: the brand new Windows build of Amarok 2.7.0
The KDE on Windows developers worked hard to publish KDE 4.10.2, so we delayed this release to make sure you can get the newest KDE as well. This should work on XP, Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.
Since there are a few limitations in a Windows build, some features you know from the Linux version are not available:
the Nepomuk Collection plug-in is not available
no CD playback support
the features requiring Gstreamer (Equalizer, Moodbar) are not available as this version uses the VLC backend
Since we can't ship ffmpeg on that build, there is no transcoding either
Disclaimer: since most of our developers don't even have a Windows installation to test this build, we rely on you, dear Amarok lover, to help us testing and to report any bugs you might find. Please report them to our bugtracker and don't forget to specify the version and the exact Windows platform.
If you have filed bugs for the previous versions on Windows, please check if you can reproduce them with the 2.7.0 version as well, we would be very grateful for your help with that:)
Thanks to some attentive testers, we have now uploaded a patched version that comes with the corrected installation path.
While originally scheduled before the end of 2012, our code monkeys started to enjoy fixing bugs much more during the holiday period, so we gave them a few weeks more to let them shine. It turned out great:
The File Browser's behavior and appearance was greatly improved
Audio CD playback was resurrected (at least with recent phonon-gstreamer)
We haven't been lazy even before this, as this release also comes with an impressive amount of other bug fixes: a total of over 470 bugs were closed since the 2.6 release, of which exactly 100 are direct bug fixes (with a commit link). Over 15 feature requests were granted directly or indirectly as well.
We are also proud to ship a completely updated handbook, with updated screenshots and help pages for the new features. In this context our thanks goes to the Google Code-In students who helped in updating the handbook. Several Code-In students also helped to test Amarok extensively, both with the 2.7 beta1 release and the development version. The students also helped in moving two old wiki instances to a new server, verifying articles were currently relevant with working links. In total, 10 students worked on a total of 47 tasks for Amarok: great work indeed!