The Amarok team, in a brief pause from the frantic coding marathon towards the final release, is very pleased to bring you Nujalik, Beta 2 of Amarok 2.0. This release comes with a substantial changelog since Beta 1 and almost all parts of Amarok have received attention. Many bugs and crashes have been fixed and a few new features have snuck in as well. As Amarok 2.0 gets closer to release, we have seen a significant increase in number of contributors providing patches and filing bug reports. This has catapulted the development pace into never before seen rates! Help us make Amarok 2.0 even better by testing, reporting bugs or contributing patches.
Also, please don't forget to support Amarok during Roktober 2008
The most significant change in this release is the switch from SQLite to MySQL-embedded as the database backend. MySQL-embedded allows us to leverage the performance increase of a MySQL configuration, whilst alleviating non trivial configuration that comes with a standalone server. Furthermore, this will allow us to expose using a standalone MySQL server in the future, if so desired, though this is not possible yet. Most noticeably, you will see much improved performance of collection scanning and searching, especially with very large music collections. Since there are technical intricacies involved with building MySQL correctly, we strongly recommend using an official distribution package as we are working with packagers to ensure a minimum of problems. For information on building and running Amarok on MySQL-embedded, please visit, edit and help update our wiki page
Some other notable changes in this release:
- Support for incremental scanning has been returned
- LibriVox allows downloading and listening to public domain audio books, this service has made a reappearance in Amarok after having been ported to QtScript.
- Context View has received significant attention, with the Lyrics and Last.fm applets being fixed
- Significant under the hood changes to much improve stability of Amarok
Please read the changelog for a more detailed list of changes since the release of Amarok 2.0 beta 1:
- Automatically check for collection changes on startup if monitoring is enabled.
- Files can be moved into collections from the Filebrowser. (BR 170077)
- Clicking on the volume icon in the toolbar toggles mute. (BR 171017)
- Arrows to switch between containments directly.
- Scripted services can now show source info in the statusbar like most other services.
- Scripts now able to access web via KDE-wide proxy.
- Middle click on playlist will append URLs from the clipboard.
- Numerous under-the-hood improvements to improve the stability of Amarok. Rejoice!
- Incremental collection scanning support. (BR 169602)
- Playlists found during a collection scan are automatically added to Amarok's Playlist Browser.
- Lyricwiki support.
- Chinese lyrics support from mp3.sogou.com
- Sidebars can be toggled with the keyboard: Ctrl+1..4
- Now remembers visible/invisible state of browsers. (BR 168344)
- Add ability to play tracks directly off of MTP device.
- Add option to enable/disable automatic cover fetching.
- Jamendo service: Filter out genre names less than 3 characters long. This gets rid of some uninformative genres like "3" and "07". All content is likely still available under other genres.
- Switch from Sqlite to MySQL Embedded (libmysqld), resulting in faster scanning and collection filtering times.
- When saving a new user playlist, the playlist browser immediately shows the newly saved playlist and starts an edit operation on it.
- Many small visual and layout tweaks.
- Make the values for score, play count and time since last play appear in tooltip when hovering over the icons in the current track applet.
- Make values for score, play count and time since last play in the current track applet readable.
- The Librivox.org scripted service is back after a rather long, API-change induced hiatus.
- Do not show the OSD if a stream repeatedly sends the same metadata.
- "Rescan Collection" was moved to the collection settings dialog.
- Do not always show status of cover fetching in the status bar. (BR 166946)
- The playlist drop visualiser respects system colours when drawn.
- Change the ordering of CurrentTrack applet information.
- The option for exporting playlists with relative urls has been moved from the Amarok settings to the save file dialog.
- Show recently added albums on the albums applet when no track is playing
- The Love action in the Last.fm service is now available for all tracks, not just Last.fm radio.
- Made album applets scrollable.
- Default the OSD to the middle top of the screen.
- New icons and layout for Context View navigation and applet manipulation.
- Same default setting for proportional and fuzzy biases when filtering by year. Patch by Andreas MÃƒÂ¼tzel .
- Config is now written right after closing the settings dialog, making it crash persistant.
- Improve Biased Playlist solver by using genetic algorithm.
- System tray tooltip is now translucent (if compositing is available).
- QtScript: Importer.include imports the file in the same context that it is currently in.
- PodcastCategory now uses PopupDropper actions.
- Libgrypt is preferred over OpenSSL at build time, for licensing reasons.
- Don't show the playcount and rating statistic twice in the system tray tooltip.
- Files from a daap server can be played again. (BR 169565)
- Files copied from iPod devices had an incorrect file extension set.
- Don't crash when undoing an action which added tracks to an empty playlist.
- Keyboard shortcut configuration is now remembered. (BR 170260)
- The playlist drop visualiser will snap to the end of the playlist if required. (BR 171016)
- Enhanced keyboard navigation in the playlist. (BR 170489)
- Fix edit bookmark feature (BR 170008)
- Don't show scroll bars on the pixmap viewer when viewing a full sized cover.
- Activate the SideBar tabs when dragging something over them. (BR 169712)
- Save composer and disc number correctly (BR 167184)
- Handle multidisc albums properly (BR 167238)
- Remove empty folders after organizing the collection. (BR 141555)
- Display rating (when present) in OSD. (BR 167263)
- Make the currently playing track active in the playlist if it has been removed and is later re added. (BR 167552)
- Detect Amarok 1.x style compilations when scanning the collection.
- Show the album year in the Collection Browser if requested.
- Make appending of podcasts to the playlist work.
- Fix text color of current track applet. (BR 168466)
- Lyrics applet is functional.
- Setting half ratings via global shortcuts was broken.
- Exporting of M3U and PLS playlists has been fixed.
- Make the PlayPause button actually switch icons again. (BR 169805)
- Add "Ignore field" token to the Guess tags dialog. (BR 161060)
- Only add supported file formats to the playlist. Patch by Andreas MÃƒÂ¼tzel .
- Clear the status bar when stopping playback.
- Albums applet no longer uses lots of CPU cycles. (BR 169586)
- Don't show the context menu in the Current Track applet if playback has been stopped.
- Applets do not disappear if Context View is shrunk too much. (BR 169504)
- Fix last.fm events applet.
- The Current track applet now has tooltips for the icons on the right hand side. (BR 168260)
- "Resume playback on start" now also restores the track position correctly. (BR 168792)
- Fix layouting issues with tagging dialog. (BR 166837)
- Fix crash when closing last.fm settings while playing. (BR 168828)
- Make it possible to actually disable the audio fadeout. (BR 169022)
- Podcast Episode downloading doesn't crash anymore. (BR 168203)
- Dragging files to the playlist no longer appends, but drops in the correct spot.
- Correctly order out-of-collection files dragged into the playlist. (BR 169064)
- You can add directories from the Play and Add Media menus. (BR 166549)
- Allow statistics to be written out when we move to the next track, not just when playback stops.
- Right-clicking on playlist doesn't wipe out selection. (BR 167861)