Aulanerk - Alpha 2 of Amarok 2.0 released!
The Amarok team is proud to announce the second alpha version of Amarok 2, codenamed Aulanerk. We have spent many sleepless nights resolving issues and polishing features since the first alpha was released. It wasn't just for fun though ;-) We want the 2.0 release to be the best ever.
A big thank you to everyone who helped us by reporting bugs, sending patches and giving useful feedback. Without you we would not have come this far in the short time since the first alpha! Keep it coming.
It is also nice to see that many people enjoy the result of our work already and can see where we want to go with Amarok 2. Thanks for all the kind reviews of alpha 1. It's always a pleasure to read something like that.
Here are some of the changes we made since alpha 1:
* New interface for extracting tags from filenames, now fully working
* Context view applet to view albums (BR 164005)
* Automatic detection of non-UTF-8 charsets for metadata
* Dynamic/Biased playlists improvements
* QtBindings support for the scripts
* Collection scanner now picks up bmp images too. (BR 167122)
* Update the DBus APIs
* Update the QtScript APIs
* Current track applet added to the Context View on startup
* No more applets flashing between track changes
* Current track applet now shows a message when no track is being played
* Correctly save custom external browser setting (BR 166979)
* Use default KDE crash handler again
* Fix crash when switching tracks in the playlist. (BR 166964)
* Fix crash when trying to download a playlist from unreachable server
* Script Manager now automatically restarts scripts on next startup
* Correctly handle albums with the same name (BR 164173)
* Various bugfixes for the systray tooltip
* In the Wikipedia applet scrolling works properly now
* Context menu separators are no longer shown as empty items
* Make the filebrowser filter instantaneously display results for files
* Add a path separator if required when constructing relative urls from M3U playlists (BR 166346)
* Rescan collection if the version is higher than we currently use (downgrades) (BR 142712)
* Play the first track in the playlist if there is no active track (BR 166336)
* Do not use 100% cpu in the cover manager when changing view modes (BR 164112)
* Fix build on Debian. Patch by David Palacio
* Fix bug with selection getting stuck in collection browser when selecting multiple items when dragging over them (BR 164960)
* Fix crash when removing collapsed album from the playlist. (BR 163653)
* Mp3tunes would load for users who had never used it before and prompt them with an annoying login box (BR 166332)
* Random album playback mode implemented (BR 164623)
* Fix rendering glitches when double clicking tracks in dynamic mode (BR 166705)
* Make the rating widget on the current track hideable
Development is at full speed and we are trying to get Amarok 2.0 final ready for release soon. If you want to help us now is the perfect time to do so. We need more contributors, especially MacOS and Windows developers. Drop by in #amarok or #rokymotion on freenode. We will appreciate any kind of help from translating, documentation writing through developing and promoting. Come and join us!
Enjoy alpha 2 and watch as the wolf is growing :-)
Please be aware that this is alpha stage software. Bugs and unfinished features are to be expected.
The Amarok 2 FAQ addresses some of the questions you might have about Amarok 2.